I received Greater by Steven Furtick from Waterbrook Multnomah's Blogging for Books program. I read Steven Furtick's first book Sun Stand Still and found it inspirational. I found Greater to be motivating and refreshing.
Greater uses John 14:12 and the story of Elisha as it's base. Jesus said that Christ-followers would do even greater things than he did. That's a hard concept to understand. How could I do greater things than Jesus did? But there's a nagging feeling that most of us have that pushes us not to just do more, but to do something that truly matters – something greater. Stories from the life of Elisha will motivate you to do something more, something greater with your life.
Here are a few of my favorite quotes from Greater:
- He's calling us to be greater with Him through His Spirit within us.
- The thing is, most believers aren't in imminent danger of ruining their lives. They're facing a danger that's far greater: wasting them.
- … I find over and over again that my greatest enemy of the greater life God has for me is… me.
- Igniting God's vision starts with becoming more acutely aware of God's presence in your life.
- God does not necessarily tell you how He will do it, only that He will do it.
- … there are two major reasons why well-intentioned people like us get stuck after we burn our plows. One, we don't think big enough. Two, we don't start small enough.
- Those who persevere on the long and greater road will not only find themselves baffled by God's power but also at time dumbfounded by his restraint during times of real need.
- The point is, we need to learn to recognize when God is calling us to humble ourselves and seize those moments, then our fake greatness will keep us from it.
- Greater isn't an automatic, permanent postion; it's an intentional daily decision.
I'm wary of those who fall into or ride the fence of the “name it, claim it” camp and some would put Steven Furtick there. Despite that, there are some good insights in Greater. Through Greater, Steven shows readers God's call to live an audacious life. Burn your plow like Elisha and walk towards what God has planned for you.
Material Disclosure: I received a copy of Greater from Multnomah in exchange for an honest review.
Teach Your Kids to Have a Devotional Time
Teaching your kids grow their own faith doesn't have to be difficult. Get this downloadable guide to help you teach your kids to have their own devotional time!