In my life this week…
- We’re still readjusting to East Coast Time after our trip to California last weekend. The boys are both way off any kind of schedule. We sleep way too late and go to bed way too late.
- I was selected to blog for Women of Faith: Imagine in Charlotte!
In our homeschool this week…
- Jonathan finished the rest of the Sonlight Readers 1. He read all of those readers (plus other books in between) over about three weeks. I’m in a bit of shock.
- I picked up Magic Tree House #1 from Paperbackswap.com. I thought he wouldn’t be ready for it, but because he had seen his cousin Luke reading one of the Magic Tree House books during our last trip to California, he was very excited about reading it. Of course, the fact that it is about dinosaurs helped too! He read the whole book during our trip. He read some to Grandma and Grandpa when they picked us up from the airport on Wednesday. He even sat with Oma (Josh’s grandmother) on Saturday and read a chapter to her. He keeps asking for more, so I ordered the first boxed set (#1-4) from Amazon. It will be here later today and I cannot wait to see his face when he opens the box!
- He’s been begging to read The Boxcar Children which is read-aloud for Sonlight Core A. Between The Book Lady (our local used book store) and Paperbackswap.com, I found books #1-8. I had book #1 scheduled for September as a read-aloud, but gave in and let him try reading it. He easily read the first couple pages so that book went into the backpack for our trip too. He read the first three chapters on Sunday. As of Wednesday night, he had completed chapter six and was about half way through the book.
- Are you sensing a theme? It’s the summer of reading around here. Someone, send more books!
- Jonathan has been working his way through an Addition Workbook from the Target $1 spot. He says that he is “rememberizing” his addition facts. He really does have a few facts memorized. When he sees facts in order (1+1, 1+2, 1+3, etc.), he can quickly find the pattern and fly through the set. When I ask him if he likes letters or numbers better, he tells me that numbers are his favorite. Good things Daddy likes math…
- We’re memorizing the second verse from Seeds Family Worship “Seeds of Courage” CD. It’s actually two verses so I thought we might have to take two weeks to memorize it. Nope. As of this morning he has it nearly the the point of being ready to recite it for a video.
Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
- Read Educating the Wholehearted Child by Clay and Sally Clarkson! Great book. I had the privilege of discussing the preface and introduction with other homeschooling moms this week. If you’ve read or are reading this book, jump in and share your thoughts.
- I’ve started a weekly link up: Kids in the Word Wednesdays. Come share how you’re making the Word come alive to your kids by teaching Bible, scripture memory, character, and worldview.
My favorite thing this week was…
- Jacob learning to wave and clap.
- Jacob signing: more, milk, mommy, daddy, brother, eat.
- Jacob trying new foods: egg, gluten-free bread, black beans, and broccoli. Oh, and french fries from In-n-Out, courtesy of Grandpa!
- Watching Jonathan dance at the wedding last weekend. Hilarious!
What’s working/not working for us…
- Sleeping in so late is NOT working for us!
- I’m starting to go through Inspired to Action materials to remedy this issue.
- I think I’m going to join a Hello Mornings group when the next round opens in August. I need help!
- The Ministry of Motherhood by Sally Clarkson with GoodMorningGirls.org. We’re reading about the gift of training this week.
I’m grateful for…
- My new Homeschool Village 5:11 group. I’m excited about getting to know the three ladies in my group.
A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
Here’s Jacob munching on some homemade gluten-free bread:
Teach Your Kids to Have a Devotional Time
Teaching your kids grow their own faith doesn't have to be difficult. Get this downloadable guide to help you teach your kids to have their own devotional time!